One of our chocolate-y contributions to the Lyle Chocolate Festival this year was a heavenly cream cheese filled chocolate cupcake confection. I couldn’t resist experimenting with this recipe that an old friend had given me years ago. She had grown up with her mother making this homemade, Ding-Dong-like bite of deliciousness and it tasted just as good gluten free as I remember. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
- 1 package of 8 oz. cream cheese; softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 6 oz. package mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbs distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking tray with cupcake papers.
- Prepare cream cheese filling; beat together first 4 ingredients; set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
- Combine water, oil, vinegar and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Stir into flour mixture until blended.
- Half fill each lined muffin pan cup with batter.
- Place spoonful of cream cheese filling into the center of each cup.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until wooden toothpick into chocolate part comes out clean.
- Remove pans from oven.
- Let cakes cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack.