Thanksgiving is right around the corner (how is this possible?). One would think I would have started planning a bit sooner, but there is wood to stack and a cozy couch with blankets just waiting to be lounged upon with a good book. 😉 So, that being said, here’s an easy peasy way to save at least a little time on all that Thanksgiving prep work – skillet stuffing!!
Living in the Gorge we are lucky enough to have access to a plethora of gorgeous and delicious wild mushrooms that you can pick up locally or if your more adventurous, can even spend an afternoon picking yourself (go with an expert!)! Try this wonderfully delicious recipe with our gluten free bread crumbs available throughout the holiday season! Yay!
Wild Mushroom and Sausage Skillet Stuffing
- 15 oz Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 10 oz Italian Chicken Sausage (removed from casings)
- 1 Onion (medium & chopped)
- 8 oz Wild Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Sage (finely chopped) (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 Eggs
- 1.5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 oz Parmesan Cheese (grated) (grated)
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a cast iron skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil over medim high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook (breaking up with spatula as it browns) for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add chopped onion, mushrooms and sage and cook through until sausage is well browned. (About another 8 minutes.)
- Add in wine and cook until reduced by half.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, broth, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add sausage mixture and bread and toss to combine.
- Pour mixture back into skillet and bake until lightly browned on top about 15 minutes, stir once and bake for 5 more minutes until browned on top and cooked through.