Peach season is here! With friends visiting and the good sense to realize that one shouldn’t only eat peaches over the sink (at least not without offering some), I’ve been on the lookout for great gluten free peach-filled recipes. I knew I wanted to make bread pudding and I knew I wanted to make it with peaches. Now, all I had to do was decide between bread pudding with grilled peaches and a bourbon glaze or a vanilla caramel sauce. In the end, the vanilla caramel sauce had me at, well…caramel sauce. This is a great recipe especially if you’re new to baking gluten free bread or just trying out a new gluten free bread recipe. Any failed attempts make for a wonderful excuse to bake bread pudding – like you needed one! Many thanks to Udi’s Gluten Free for this easy, tasty and wonderful recipe! Enjoy!
Cut your fabulous gluten free bread into squares!
You can use fresh or canned peaches for this recipe. I used 5 mouthwatering-ly ripe fresh peaches and in hindsight, I would probably use more next time. The peaches were amazing! Melt your butter, add the peaches, cook for 5 minutes. Next add the raisins, brown sugar (1/4 cup) and spices. Turn the heat to medium and cook for another 5-7 minutes!
Add the bread to the skillet and stir to coat. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, add milk (and juice + one cup of milk, if you are using canned peaches; 2 cups of milk if you are using fresh peaches), the remaining brown sugar and the vanilla extract. Whisk! Pour this mixture into the skillet and let it rest for at least 20 minutes to absorb all of the liquid.
Add the mixture to a baking dish. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 40 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly pressed. Make the vanilla caramel sauce (about 10 minutes). Keep warm. Now, you can take time to clean up your messy kitchen or take some artsy photos and post them to Instagram.
Isn’t that pretty. 🙂
Serve warm with sauce. Enjoy.
Gluten Free Bread Pudding with Peaches
- 6 slices day-old cut into squares
- 1 large can of peaches or 5+ fresh peaches
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 Cup raisins optional
- 4 Eggs beaten
- 2 Cups milk or 1 cup milk and 1 cup juice from the peaches
- 3/4 Cup Brown sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla Caramel Sauce
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/3 Cup Evaporated Milk 1/2 of a 5oz. can
- 1/2 Teaspoon. Vanilla
- In a large oven-safe skillet melt the butter. Add peaches (drained) and cook for about 5 minutes on medium/high heat.
- Add raisins, 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, and spices to the skillet. Mix well and turn heat down to medium. Cook another 5-7 min.
- Add bread squares into the skillet mixture. Stir and coat the bread squares with the peaches and spices.
- In a separate bowl beat the 4 eggs. Add the milk and juice from the peaches. Add in the remaining brown sugar (1/2 c) and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over the contents of the skillet. Let rest for about 20 min. This will allow the bread to soak up the liquids.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. After the 20 minutes rest time, bake the skillet mixture for about 40 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
- To Make the Sauce:
- Meanwhile, while the bread pudding was busy baking.....
- Whisk brown sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium/high heat until the butter is melted.
- Whisk in evaporated milk and stir until the sugar is dissolved and sauce is creamy smooth.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract.
- Keep warm and serve over the bread pudding when it comes out of the oven.